Meat free ricotta balls are a great alternative to meatballs when combined with lovely tomato sauce and pasta. They are also yummy as a snack.
You will find these are so versatile and you can experiment by adding different flavours to them like paprika, cayenne, chilli, cumin or even chopped up sundried tomato. If you are going for a less healthy option you could add a square of mozzarella for a melt in the middle finish.
Kids love these, my 2-year-old son ate nearly half a batch yesterday over lunch. Here is the basic recipe.
Note to my American followers – I have added American measurements in – these are approximate, but I believe they are correct, please let me know if you have any issues
Serves 4 if serving in tomato sauce with pasta or bread –25 balls
Freeze these once the are cooked. To reheat thaw, wrap in foil and heat in the oven on 190C, 170C Fan, 373F, Gas 5 for 10 minutes
Ricotta – 1 Tub (250g) – 1 cup
Egg x 1 yolk only
Grana Padano grated 50g – 1/2 cup
Garlic clove crushed x 1
Bread crumbs – panko/dried – 60 g – 1 /2 Cup
Black pepper and a pinch of salt
Oil for greasing baking tray
- Heat oven to 190C, 170C Fan, 373F, Gas 5
- Lightly grease a baking tray with oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl
- Ensure they are well mixed with a fork
- Shape into little balls about 2cm/1 inch balls (mixture makes around 25 balls)
- Place on a baking tray
- Place in oven on a medium to high shelf
- Bake for about 15 minutes until golden
- Serve in tomato sauce with pasta or bread – alternatively eat them on their own as a snack