These chicken nuggets are an amazing home made alternative to processed shop bought ones and they taste delicious. Whether they are thrifty or not is a matter of opinion, they work out at about £3.00 for 20, which is probably more than processed nuggets, but these are healthier and far better.
If you are not keen on chilli pesto, you can substitute it with green or red pesto. These are a family favourite, I think you will really like them.
Makes 20 nuggets
Can be frozen before cooking. Defrost before cooking
Chicken breasts x 2
Chilli Pesto – 3 tablespoons
Panko Breadcrumbs – 100g
Olive oil x 2 tablespoons
- Pre heat oven to 230C, 210C fan, 450F, Gas mark 8 and add two tablespoons olive oil to a small baking tray. Place in oven for oil to heat (on a shelf about a quarter down from the top)
- Cut each chicken breast into about 10 pieces
- Place in a bowl and mix with the pesto until completely coated
- Put Panko breadcrumbs into a freezer bag, add the chicken, seal bag and shake until the chicken is coated. Alternatively place bread crumbs in a bowl and then add the chicken a few bits at a time until coated
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and check the oil is bubbling hot. You can tell by putting a breadcrumb in, if it sizzles it means it is hot enough, if not return the tray to the oven until very hot. This is important to ensure nuggets are not soggy
- When the oil is hot, place chicken nuggets on the baking tray and return to the oven.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes turning once. The nuggets should be crispy and slightly golden
- Serve with salad or chips or both!